Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Mld-Week Catch-up

I hope I have better luck with the page today than I did Monday.  I've decided not to cut and paste anything any more, ever, just stick with my limited knowledge. 

Yesterday was just solid rain most of the day, really all week.  I wish someone would take me to the Falls to see how big it is.  I don't want to go by myself.  I've seen pictures taken yesterday and today, and it's even more impressive than usual.  Thank goodness we've not had any of the flooding I've been hearing about. 

Image may contain: sky, outdoor, nature and water

When I walked to school to pick up Graysen Monday, it was raining pretty hard, but I decided to go ahead and walk since I'd rather be walking than standing in a puddle waiting for a slow child to get into her car seat and then waiting for that same child to get out again.  It was really pretty pleasant.  I could tell when she came out the door that she had lost her second tooth.  She was grinning and waving the little plastic tooth-shaped necklace that they get.  SO excited.  Her first permanent one is almost in.  I should have taken some pictures. 

Yesterday I spent trying to embroider Katherine's Halloween shirt and making a huge mess of it.  I've been out of the loop for much too long.  She's into bigger designs now, so I had to hoop the shirt sideways to fit.  I know I've done the BOO! design before, but you'd think I'd never seen it.  It went okay once I got started until I got to the spider on top.  The shirt is black, and so is the spider, so I consulted with Elise, and we decided a dark blue or green would work.  I picked the blue and started the machine, and the first leg just got completely eaten up by the machine to the point where I had to cut it away from the needle.  And, of course, cut the shirt.  That took a lot of taking out and muttering and then ironing on a patch and starting over.  It worked but looks pretty rough.  I'm not sure why the white bobbin thread was showing, but I'm pretending that's the spider's hairy legs. 

She was watching me finish it and said, "Is the spider going to get sucked into the machine again?"  I think she was hoping she'd get to see it.



I had to order a black shirt to fit Graysen, and she wanted a different pattern, so I tackled that today.  I'm not sure where the design came from.  It may have been a freebie, but the digitizing left a little to be desired.  The satin stitch was not consistent and wandered off on its own a couple of time.  It was much easier to do - no spider - and since Graysen picked out her fabrics, I hope she will like it.   I'm not sure I like this was as much as the original one, but it will do for one week.




After that, I did a massive cleanup of the sewing room so I can start fresh without scraps and thread and pins all over the place. 

I had brought in the Christmas Holiday cactus from the balcony and almost forgot about it until I started to water it yesterday.  I guess the combination of dark and light was just right for it to bloom for Halloween.  It pretty much gets ignored all year, but it always comes through with blooms for some holiday.  Never Christmas. 



The girls were upset at having to leave their scene they had set up in my room when Emily picked them up yesterday, so I promised I would leave it just as they had it.  I did have to move some things for a path in and out and to the bathroom because that would not have been fun to step on one of those pointy little Polly Pocket ladies in the middle of the night. 

It looks like there was a pretty bad accident and some casualties, but no one mentioned it, and there was a dessert cart set up nearby, so I left things pretty much alone.  I believe they must have been delivering the cherry pie.




I finished one book this weekend - Night Road by Kristen Hannah - and enjoyed it very well once I got into it.  I started another one I didn't think I would like, but it is growing on me.  Whisper Network by Chandler Baker, all about the dynamics of males versus females in the work place.  The three main characters are women who are attorneys in the same firm as well as friends, and the book promises lies, secrets, and WHISPERS!  Hmmm.  I have a perfect person to discuss this with tomorrow.  Katherine and her very best friend Makena have a playdate at Kidz Bounce, and Makena's mom just happens to be an attorney juggling 3 kids and a job and might be able to add some insight as we watch the bouncers together. 

The last book I brought home is Atomic Habits.  I think there's a pretty good chance I won't enjoy that, or even open it, but I've heard it's supposed to teach you how to break bad habits and built good ones.  It may be too late for me.  

For my last thought tonight, am I eating baby food?  It sure looks like this is geared for children, but I can't imagine too many liking garlic herb cauliflower.  I do, though.  It's really, really good.



I'm supposed to eat 20 ounces of vegetables a day and don't like salad - or don't like making one myself - so this is a perfect dinner option.  I had the whole box tonight with some cheddar cheese melted on top and 4 ounces of shrimp, and it was the best!  For cauliflower, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment