Saturday, June 15, 2019

Now It's Officially Summer

But I'm still wearing a sweatshirt.

We had a few warm days last week, up to 89, and we turned the fan on and talked of going to Emily's to sleep over the weekend to stay cool.

And then we woke up freezing Friday morning.  By the time school dismissed at 11:55, it was drizzling, and I grabbed a jacket on my way out.

The older kids were pouring out of the school like I knew they would.  Some fifth grade girls were crying.  Mostly there was yelling and chasing around by the boys.

 I got last day hugs from Mrs. Boyles and Ms. Kim along with Graysen.  I can't say enough how much fun this year has been for her.  And Ms. Kim is living in our apartment complex now, and there's a chance to see her a lot at the pool this summer.

I found a picture from the first day of school and took one outside yesterday.

She was just so little and just a tiny bit scared.  She and Mom were both fighting tears - for different reasons.


Look at how different now.  So tall and confident and just thrilled to be part of the excitement.


Next year, we won't have to go inside and make eye contact with the teacher before they can come out.  I loved that, though.  I got to know so many of the kids and their parents that way.  Next year, I can stand outside and see her come bursting through the front door with the big kids.  Telling her that made her grin - BIG.

And then a year later, we'll be going back inside for Katherine.  Here is her first day picture and her last day one.  It took her a while to adjust to school every day, but at the end of the year, she was a happy girl and was calling people her friends.




On the last day of Cascade View, Katherine was home with Mom and Dad getting the camper packed, so Graysen and I walked to their house.  She immediately complained of "freezing," so being the good Mimi I am, I sacrificed my jacket.  I don't think she really wanted it, but she loved the impression she thought she made of being a sorcerer.  Funny, it doesn't do that for me - or maybe it does.

 Those boots!  With shorts!  And she's just wearing what makes her happy.




When we got on the main street, a group of 4 or 5 buses came by with kids hanging out the windows and yelling and singing.  She loved every minute of that and wondered if they knew she went to that school too.  And then here came another bus with lots of her friends on it screaming at her.  She was beside herself.  It's funny the small things that make children happy.

And this made her extremely happy.  Making a Father's Day card for Ryan.  Complete with a little mask for Super Dad.


When I got her delivered, I couldn't see I was adding anything to the packing-the-camper chaos, so I said my good-byes and left.  Seeing that big camper with the paddle board and bicycles and all that stuff on top, I knew my worrying was about to kick in big time.  But I'm working on it.

I decided to stop by the garden and water it.  I didn't take any pictures, but I came home with a double handful of strawberries.  The cool weather has kept things from growing, but it's a start.  I don't think the things I love do well up here - cucumbers, zucchini, tomatoes, and peppers.  And, of course, not okra.  They planted a pumpkin and a cantaloupe, but those have a lot of growing to do to make it before winter.  I guess pumpkins can grow in cold weather though.

So, it's been a nice organizing Saturday, and I'm looking forward to taking my book and coffee and sitting on the balcony later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment