Thursday, December 6, 2018

I Don't Want to Do Winter

I went out this morning, and that should be enough punishment to last for several months.  The thought of going out 2 or 3 times a day for the duration of the winter just depresses me.  I know all days won't be like this one - 23 degrees, biting wind, bright sun to blind you while driving.  Some days it will be worse.  It will the 23 degrees, windy, and raining or snowing.  When I used to complain, Mike always said, "Just be glad you don't have an outside job."  That puts it into perspective, but it doesn't make me any more tolerant of cold weather.

It's so much harder to get the kids dressed and out the door too.  Why are hats and mittens and boots nowhere to be found when it's time to leave.  There are some hats always, in their cubbies, but they're never the right ones.  One has a pompom on top, which is great, but another one has a pompom that hangs down a little. No way someone is going to wear a hat with a pompom that hangs down. One has Elsa, and ones has a kitty cat.   Gloves and mittens are like socks, except they always disappear in pairs.  Just nothing there for hands.  I told Katherine this morning that she could wear the kitty hat but that it didn't cover her ears, and they would be cold.  She said seriously, "But when I get to school, all my friends will think I'm a kitty cat."  Gotta go with what's important.

On the drive home from dropping off the last one, the car is warm, and Christmas carols are playing, and I have this really happy feeling of getting a job done once more - even if I do complain.  My main job is not only getting there safely and (usually) on time but making sure they know they're loved and protected and ready for the day.  Graysen always runs to greet her friends on the playground as happy as can be, but Katherine is still a little clingy when I leave her - but not as much any more.  She got in the way of a photo op yesterday and reluctantly allowed herself to be in it.


Uncomfortable grimace and bare tummy.  I think she enjoys going to the circle first thing in the morning.  There's a rug in front of a fireplace with a yellow lab puppy lying on it and Miss Jami getting ready to read a book or talk about something interesting.  She has been shy about playing with other kids on the playground, but yesterday I saw her riding a tricycle with another little girl.  When she got in the car, I mentioned it, and she said, "Yeah, that was Olivia.  She didn't throw me off the bike today."  That's a little progress.

She's the one in pink, pedaling hard.


 I'm also glad I'm not one of the pajama-wearing teachers who DO have to work outside this week.


It's Thursday, so one more day of going out before the weekend.  I am going to a birthday party with Emily and Graysen Saturday, but someone else will be dressing kids and driving.

The Christmas tree is still standing, so I might put the ornaments on today.  I have a miniature tree with gifts under it on a little table, and those were pretty much all over the living room.  Kitty Layla makes us laugh though and cuddles very nicely, so that's worth a few messes.

No comments:

Post a Comment