Sunday, December 9, 2018

A Little Christmas Cheer

Our little abode is as decorated as it's going to be.  I find myself wanting to display less and less every year.  The little tree is nice and a few things the girls love, but I have another box to donate this year or find out if anyone wants the things.

This is always nice to see even when it's not Christmas.  We haven't even read these books.  It's making me sad that we don't have all those times of cuddling and reading since both girls are in school.  Graysen is reading a little now, and she'll just take the books and look at the pictures and find the words she knows, or figure it out.  Katherine is too busy running wild with the kitty.  I'll try to do better with that, because I'm not ready to accept this!


Just walking around the apartment this morning with a cup of coffee while the wind howls and being thankful for what I have and not lingering too long on what I don't.  But the memories are there, all the old things that bring back happier times.

I did this cross-stitch many years ago and fully intended to do another one or two companion santas - but didn't of course.  He makes me happy.



Eleanor's pine cone candle holders and table.


Crazy Christmas cactus is trying to hold onto a few blooms to live up to its name.


A quick view out the balcony door.  I'm surprised the wind hasn't blown this garland down.  Emily did a good job attaching them for me.  Driving up the drive, it's so festive.  Lots of the balconies have lights and garlands or little trees.  I just noticed when I looked at the pictures that the wind has blown over one of the chairs.  Hummingbirds were flying around last week, so we got some new food mixed up and refilled the bird feeder.  Also amazed they haven't blown down.


Little gold tree.  Layla has left it alone so far.  She likes to hide under the table skirt, but a bottle of water sprayed in her direction sends her flying.  She looks so offended when we do that.  Some mornings I find little pieces of things knocked off tables or the desk but nothing major.


I give the girls a nutcracker every year from my stash, so there aren't as many left.  I'm just piling things on there right now, deciding what to do with them.  Just glad Layla has not had any curiosity about this hutch.


This is just a cross-stitch bread cover that I did and like a lot but just never use it.  Maybe if I would make some bread?

A couple of gifts from Kathy from years ago.  Again glad the girls haven't discovered they can open that box, or the mittens would have disappeared.



 I made this for the girls, and they like playing with the ornaments in the bag, but since they're not here every day and there's not candy involved, we don't use it as an advent calendar.  They have a really cute one at home that they don't miss a day getting their candy from!

 In the mess on the counter is still my favorite nutcracker along with the plate holder that Debby sent, which I love and use every day!  I don't have enough Christmas saucers and little plates to fill it so I kept out some kinda Christmas-colored plates to use.

I'm hiding Christmas gifts in the sewing room until I get them wrapped, but I need to hurry.  Yesterday Graysen went exploring in Emily's gift boxes.

 Because it's hard for Elise and me to ever have any alone time, I've made a little corner for myself in my bedroom.  The chair is Mike's granddaddy's.  It was once orange corduroy back when it belonged to his parents, and when orange probably seemed like a good choice.  I had it covered with a blue and beige check many years ago, and it sat unused in a guest room.  Now I have a quiet place for myself.  I believe I see a kitty head at the bottom of the picture.

Some things beside the chair this morning.  Corrie, my angel from the Atlanta airport, has suggested that I write down four things a day about the way I feel when I do devotionals, and I'm trying that in my Grace journal.  I have to admit the tone of the four things has improved over a week or so.  Much more about Corrie later.  The Jodi Picoult book has started off okay and one that will cause me to think a lot.  The Herbal Kitchen?  I just typed a dictated podcast of her not too long ago, and she sounded interesting, so I got one of her books from the library.  I'm not sure I'll get around to that right now though.



I think I'm in a better place now than I was two weeks ago.  Part of that is due to Corrie's caring suggestions.  Another thing is getting out of the house yesterday for fun instead of just duty.  And I made a doctor's appointment for Monday, which I've been procrastinating doing.  Elise has threatened to drag me there.  I needed to get checked out after the accident just to document it, so I decided to combine that with my checkup and prescription refill.  I'm not sure why I'm so reluctant to go.  I've been blessed with good health up until now, and I know I'm due for something.  My out-of-pocket expenses this year have been $90 plus some cough and cold over-the-counter things, and I need that to stay the same.  

I'm ready to stay home and enjoy my day today and let the rain come and the wind howl.

No comments:

Post a Comment