Wednesday, November 30, 2016

A Long Day

The trouble started yesterday afternoon when Kate woke up from her nap crying and stuffy and lethargic and just never got happy for very long.  Emily said they were up all night with her, trying to keep her fever down and get some sleep for everyone.

She was not much better today, and the only time she wasn't fussing or crying was when I walked her around or held her.


When she went to sleep in my arms, I wasn't about to disturb her, so Graysen and I sat on the couch and watched How the Grinch Stole Christmas and a number of other shorter shows.  It suited both of us fine on this cold day.

I wish Kate felt better, but holding a warm sleeping baby with one arm and having this sweet girl hold my other hand is my idea of a pretty good morning.


This "old hand."  Earlier when I couldn't twist the top off a sippy cup, Graysen said it was because my hands were old.  I think that started a few days ago when we were out for a stroller ride on a really cold and windy day.  I was past being ready to be home and kind of jogged for a little bit on a hill - to get it over with sooner.  Graysen was thrilled.  She said, "Run with us like Daddy."  I told her I couldn't run like Daddy, and she asked why.  I told her I was too old.  Later on, I did another jogging half block, and she yelled, "No, Old Mimi, stop!  You'll hurt your legs."   Well, I asked for it.

She and I went to the grocery store once Emily got home to take care of Kate, and we saw a little bit of blue sky - and some snow on the mountains.  Beautiful.




This is such a thrilling time for Graysen, her first real Christmas to understand and be awed by everything - the lights in the town, the toy soldiers in the grocery store, all her decorations at home - but most all my apartment.  She spent an hour tonight just going back and forth between the manger and several other spots - music boxes and obviously paper plates.  I could hear her singing some words to Away in a Manger and talking and whispering and just in her own little fantasy world.

This was how the stable looked Sunday afternoon - filled with gifts from the Wise Men and a giant kitty in the hayloft.  Looks like only one Wise Man was allowed to visit - and the others had to stay outside.


This is the way I found it today when I got ready to take her home.  Same Wise Man in the stable, but Joseph had taken the other one plus the shepherd out to discuss the flock.  And now the baby is in the hayloft.  She doesn't like to be asked questions about anything - like why are Santa and Mrs Santa in the upside-down sleigh?  


Dinner for 10 at the front door.  I don't ask any questions!


Praying for the baby to have a better night and be well and happy tomorrow.  So sad to see her so sick and not able to tell us what hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment