Saturday, July 23, 2016

Quilting: Lesson 2

Ummm.  Lesson 2 of the Evening Sky quilt is not quite as easy as Lesson 1!


 It took me 2 days to complete 4 blocks, but it's good to have finished them, even it meant taking out a lot of seams.

w


When I finished the first one, it looked fine, and I was congratulating myself, but then I noticed that in one of the green sections, the 2 patterns were reversed - twice.  Ugh.  I told myself it didn't matter - green is green - and decided to leave it like it was since it's going to be for us.  But then I knew that every time I looked at that quilt, I would know it was wrong.  I don't think it makes a lot of difference, but it was good for me to take it out and correct it.

I wish I could say I learned my lesson and had no problem with the other 3 blocks, but I kept on reversing those greens and even had to cut new pieces a couple of times.  It was really satisfying to get that last one finished.

Part 2 of Lesson 2 looks more difficult but is not proving to be so far.  Maybe it's because I'm paying more attention and measuring to the eighth of an inch.

I got 16 of these finshed with points matching and only one take-out.


Next are a few flying geese.  The pattern maker recommended a few tools or rulers that might be helpful.  One was the Bloc-Loc Flying Geese ruler.  It looks really nice, and I really would like to have gotten that, but I think you have to buy one for every size (at around $20 apiece), so I searched around and found this.


It works on all sizes and worked just fine for the chisel-type block I had to make in the first part of Lesson 2 - once I figured it out.  It doesn't have the raised part that I like, but it is accurate.  Now I'll get to try it out on the flying geese I make tomorrow.   Or tonight if I just can't stand to wait.

We went to Issaquah to the pulmonologist yesterday and feel pretty good about the plan for Mike's coughing problem.  The first steps involve a nebulizer and saline solution and an antibiotic.  If that doesn't work, there are other things to do, so it was a good visit.  It's a pleasure to see Dr. Lipke.  She spends so much time explaining things and why she recommends certain treatments.  She also has a good sense of humor and makes us feel comfortable in the office, as do the rest of the staff.  A bonus is her office being in Issaquah instead of Seattle!

I got to visit Quality Sewing and Vacuum to get some extra bobbins and more thread.  Mike gave me all the time I wanted to browse and talk to the ladies (and gentleman) who work there.  I got some answers on why my sewing machine's self-threader is ornery sometimes and looked around to see what they have.  It's not a fabric store, but they have a good supply of precut fabric, patterns, embroidery thread, quilting thread, and all kinds of neat notions.  It's nice to know they sell Babylock so if I have a problem, I know where to go.

I kept the girls yesterday morning for a few hours, and it was so much fun.  Katherine is really starting to play with Graysen a little bit now (instead of getting into her stuff) since she started walking.  Here are some pictures of playtime in Graysen's room.  Her closet is a mini-playroom since it's where Ryan and Emily store the extra toys.  They love to go in there and play for the longest time - dragging things out mainly - but entertaining themselves.

The condition of Katherine's nose is totally my fault.  I kept meaning to catch her and wash her face.









Graysen took this picture as well as about 20 others - including some really interesting ones of me.








Emily sent these pictures today.  Rosanne and Lou gave Graysen this dress along with a matching doll dress, and she loves it.  It's the only outfit she will wear a hair band with.





We've been promised warmer weather tomorrow.  Although there are extreme temperatures around most of the country, we had to turn the heat on awhile this morning.  I like it though.  I love going to bed in July with the window open and using a quilt.

I got a package yesterday - a sweet surprise from Debby.   A cute little succulent terrarium.  It can be hung or can sit on a table.


It will probably stay inside, but it looks so sweet on the balcony with the geranium.  She always knows just what will cheer me up!



The  nasturtiums are leggy but finally blooming.


And a few teeny tomatoes have made an appearance.


I wish this picture could be scented.  This pink jasmine makes the whole balcony smell good, and when the wind blows, we have the scene inside too.



No comments:

Post a Comment