Wednesday, November 4, 2015

November 4

Since I have been absent so long, I just want to dump a bunch of pictures and thoughts before I forget them so one day I will halfway remember this part of my life.

Just looking at pictures from my camera:

This is what happens when I get up from my chairs.  It happens in the den and in the sewing room.  If I leave, Stella takes my place immediately - and then acts miffed when I make her get up.  She usually sleeps with her front paws in Mike's shoes, so I guess she's missing him.


I was lucky enough to get to type another paper for Daniel, and this one was more interesting to me than his usual "indians and presidents" I tease him about.   This is for the Natchez Antiques Forum of which he is the director.  His lecture is on Octavia Walton LeVert, a socialite who lived in Mobile in the 1800s, traveled to Europe, and entertained literary and political figures in her home.  She compiled her letters into a book called Souvenirs of Travel.  I enjoyed it, and I'm sure his audience will love it too, especially with the beautiful slide presentation.  


Daniel showing much relief at having wrapped his paper up almost a week early!  He's become a good friend to us through the years, and we'll miss him if we move.

I did a little bit of sewing this fall.  I have to admit that I would love to sew more with knit fabrics.  They are so comfortable for children - easy on and off, never need ironing, etc. - but they're a little tricky to sew.  I kept seeing patterns for leggings and knew that they would be super easy - but I just needed someone to hold my hand.  Beth's Heirlooms in Wetumpka offered a class that I signed up for using this pattern.




I went and picked out my fabric and pattern a few days beforehand and found some brown corduroy for a matching top, then came home and traced the pattern and cut out my leggings.

The class was on a Thursday night, and there were just 4 of us, so it was a really fun time.  Beth gave us some tips and instructions, but we mainly just followed the pattern and sewed them up in no time.   I made both girls a pair, and they turned out so cute.


I can see myself making a lot of these over the next few years.  With the NW climate, these are almost necessary we wear under dresses and long tops.

I had the idea for the dress/tunic and did the embroidery first thing.  I found this fox pattern from Urban Threads, and it just makes me happy.  This is the same place I found the leaf patterns I posted earlier - just a little different from the usual embroidery sites.


I think it looks very fall-ish without being too Halloween and different from the usual pumpkins.  I did the embroidery and then the leggings, mailed the leggings, and then started working on the top.



I loved making this pattern.  The neck facing and pockets just add so much to the look.  I knew kind of what I wanted for the contrasting fabric, and when I saw this at Joann's, I knew it was perfect.  


Peeking out just a little bit from the neck and pockets, it adds something to this otherwise boring brown corduroy.  Which is going to be a pain to keep lint and cat and dog hair free.



Right now, I have it hemmed for more of a dress length, but I'll mail it and see if it fits and whether to hem it to be a tunic.  I thought about looking for some fox buttons, but I'll wait to see about the fit before I order special buttons.




Once I see the whole picture, I can see that the embroidery is a tad too high but not terrible. 


Next time, I'll use lighter fabrics and skip the embroidery - maybe I'll even try a knit.

The only other thing I've done this fall is the Lazy Day Skirt from Oliver + S.  There are several versions of it, and I want to try them all.  I did Graysen one to match her pumpkin using piping.  Easiest think I've ever made, and I love the hem facing.





Lots of orange!

And this!  Graysen was asking Google to show her pictures of "leopard cubs" and her parents were teasing her about leper cups.  She is very serious about it though and has surpassed me in her knowledge already.

No comments:

Post a Comment