Saturday, May 21, 2011

Last Minute Crocheting

Last Sunday a lady at church was carrying around a little purple crocheted hat with a bow on it. During greeting time, she was going around asking if anyone crocheted. I said I knitted and somewhat crocheted.

She was starting to collect children's caps for the cancer center at UAB and asked me if I would make one by next week. I foolishly agreed and figured it would be easy to find a little hat pattern. But I was so wrong. I couldn't believe how hard it was to find just a simple little hat. No elf hats, no pig hats, no bunny hats. Just a plain maybe striped hat!

I tried a few, and I either didn't have the right yarn, or the pattern was just crazy (think Barbie hat).

But I finally found one last night (a ladies' hat that I did smaller) and crocheted one with a flower to match. Not totally thrilled with it, but I think it's fine. I figured I could go look for some different yarn and pattern next week when I had more time. Then I remembered some Peaches and Cream cotton yarn that I have plenty of for knitting dishrags. It took me probably 30 minutes to do that one - fun and fast. So now that I have a kind of pattern, I'll look for some boy-colored yarn and some school colors too and leave off the bottom trim.

Here are my works of art.
I actually participated in the Friday Night Sew-In that I've signed up for before. I need to run send a picture of something I've finally finished.

2 comments:

  1. they are so cute Becky,well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful B, congratulations!!
    I love the flower ;)

    ReplyDelete