Not that that's all I need, but it was a good beginning.
So back to Sweet Treasures for another learning session - this time plackets, seams, and neck bindings.
Our homework was to smock at least a row, but I enjoyed it so much, I did as much as I had time for plus a sleeve (which I might change my mind on later).
Here's my work table. It was nice to have this whole table all to myself because I do tend to move right in and fill up every available space!
The placket method we learned was amazing. I may never make another kind. Jeanie says it's not her invention, but she's a very good instructor of it anyway.
When I found out she had 5 pages of instructions and that we had to make sample for each page, I was a little intimidated and thought it would be extra hard. But it is a simple process, and the five pages were not all filled with instructions but had big blank spaces for us to pin our samples.
I did fine on my first three but failed my fourth step! I laid yellow on top of blue instead of vice versa and made a wrong clip. But when it came time to do my "real" one, Jeanie was there to watch every step and it was perfect. Not a pucker in sight and a beautiful French seam that moved right into the placket.
While Jeanie was busy with Kathy, the other student, I asked if I could wander around their beautiful shop and take pictures. Being the bad photographer I am, most pictures are blurry, but I think they'll still give an idea of the pretty things they have there.
Jeanie showing Kathy the smocking she was doing with Swiss insertion for the sleeves.
A whole row of beautifully embroidered day gowns and dresses.
I liked this so much, I bought the smocking plate and decided I would try picture smocking next - maybe starting on something a little simpler than this.
This is an interesting pattern, not so frilly.
A lacy backdrop to ribbons and thread.
This is the batiste section and two beautiful dresses,
This the neckband made all by myself (before turning and stitching it down), and it's NOT UGLY!