Friday, December 18, 2009

Rainy Day Baking

Emily was raving about some "cottage cheese" cookies the other night that Karen had made for a cookie swap, so I asked Karen for the recipe. She obliged, and although it's ricotta, they're just as good as advertised.

Cookies take a lot more time than I end up enjoying in the kitchen, but I still do it sometimes. I did these with parchment paper, and remind me never bake cookies without it. When they're finished, they just slide right onto the rack (sometimes before I'm ready for them to), and the cookie sheet is ready for the next batch (once it cools). I made them pretty small but did make some larger ones for the trash guys' bags. Somehow I don't think they will be impressed by these tiny little one-bite things. They're more interested in the McDonald's coupons than the cookies anyway.

Here they are with the icing on.
They're so soft, almost like little cakes.


And without. The recipe makes a whole lot. And I see that this one is imperfect, so it needs to be eaten.

I wonder if there are any more imperfect ones ....

Here's the recipe:

RICOTTA COOKES

half pound of butter = 2 sticks
2 cups of sugar
1 tsp vanilla

combine these 3 ingredients and mix well

add 3 eggs one at a time

4 cups of flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

combine and sift these 3 ingredients

add to mixture alternating with 3 cups of ricotta cheese (part skim or whole is fine)

After well mixed drop spoonfuls of dough on ungreased baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes or until lightly golden brown on top.

Remove and put on rack to cool.

THE ICING

1 stick of butter
1 box confectioners (powdered) sugar
2 tsp vanilla or to taste
2-4 tsp milk (or to favored consistency)

whip all this together then spread on top of cookies


Thanks, Karen. And Ida Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment