Monday, February 2, 2009

Early Ramblings

I'm feeling pretty smug because I woke up a whole hour before the alarm this morning. That's an hour of valuable time, and I was determined not to waste it, so I thought I would see if Darby was up for a walk. She was VERY much up for a walk and was so excited I had a hard time making her understand she couldn't take her "puppy" with her.


She reluctantly left it behind, but it was soon forgotten. So many mailboxes to sniff, so much sidewalk to snuffle, and most exciting of all - the Bumpus Hounds.

These dog live about a block from us and obviously have an electronic fence because they don't come near the street. When Darby gets out, I'm sure she goes to their yard and taunts them, because they really do fuss at her when we go past.
It was a glorious morning for walking, just a little nip in the air but not cold. Unfortunately, it was time for people to start pulling out of driveways and heading down the street, not to mention school buses and a couple of sullen teenagers slouching in front of our house. Just a normal day.
I did walk a little farther than usual because I had seen this beautiful star magnolia last week, or I think that's what it is. It's not a Japanese magnolia, and it has little star-shaped blooms. We had one in Thomaston, and I think it's one of the prettiest little trees. I'd like one if anyone is giving me a gift any time soon. This is not a good picture because it's obviously past its prime, and I also didn't want to seem to be a lurker standing there snapping pictures of a stranger's tree. I'm not sure, but this may be the only house in the neighborhood with cannons on the front porch. You can see one if you enlarge the picture, and I think there may be another one behind the tree.

And finally, this is what happens when over-sized puffy cats try to stand on the window sill. I think the one-ear look is charming.


I'm sure the rest of my day will be even more exciting.

2 comments:

  1. Hope your day is as great as your morning was! What is that plant that the bunny is nibbling on? It looks like a relative to some that I have...I call mine "Hens and Biddies!" How was Emily's bday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's actually 2 plants. The one in back I'm about to kill. I want to say it's something like baby tears, but I'm not sure. I have a "hen and chicks" outside, but the leaves are a little flatter. Hen and biddies - that's so cute. Sounds like an Alabama grandmother name!

    Emily I think had a good birthday. We barely had time to talk. She was calling me for Google Map assistance for someplace she was trying to find in Atlanta. I'm her directory assistance! I heard she had a cake though. Thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete